Tuesday, January 25, 2011

My recipe for a dinner my kids ate more of than I did

Normally the way dinner goes in our house is I cook it, I serve the kids a portion, and I eat about 1.5 to 2 times what they eat. Not tonight. Tonight, I served everyone a portion, and the girls ate every last crumb for seconds.

What did we have tonight, you ask?

............

If you are queasy, or otherwise don't agree when humans hunt or scavenge for food

I wouldn't read on............................................

...........................................................................

Cause this is a great story.

That involves some venison that a hunter friend scavenged when he saw it get hit by a car.

.........................................................................

GASP


.........................................................................

A week ago I got a message from my friend's husband. I have chatted with him in the past about hunting and game and fishing. I had said I missed having duck and deer and other game during hunting season, and told him how much my girls love game meat.

He then posted on facebook how he had snagged a deer that was hit right in front of him. He killed it (the humane thing given its injuries), gutted it and took it to be butchered.

He kept mentioning it on Facebook. I kept commenting "GRRRRR"
Like I said, we like deer meat, but my brother didn't get any this year, so we were going without.
I won't buy it in a grocery store.

So the message basically asked if I would like some of the meat, because the girls and I enjoy it so much. I took him up on the offer, and he gave us some chops (which I find are the easiest to cook when in a hurry) and some honey garlic sausage. He wouldn't let me pay for some of the butchering cost in return (in fact, I believe I might have caused some minor offence).

Tonight, I got down my big skillet, cut up an onion and threw it in the pan with olive oil and a spoonful of chopped garlic. Once they had sweated out, I added one of the packs of chops (4 good size chops, thinking there would be leftovers) to the pan and seared the meat each side.

A sprinkle of salt on both sides of the meant, splash 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar on the meat, pour about 1/2 cup of vegetable stock in the pan, and turned it down to simmer for a couple of hours.

We had mashed potatoes and broccoli on the side, and the juices from the pan were strained and used as "au jus"

Like I said, I expected leftovers, and got not a single crumb for seconds for me. They ATE IT ALL!

The girls were then talking to my mom and dad after dinner, and told them all about mommy's yummy dinner. And said I should make it more.

Guess I'm going to have to find a few more friends who have good field skills in hunting and scavenging.

No comments:

Post a Comment